- BOOKS (843), DVD (770), Fiction (642), Novels (404), Short Stories (180), Children's Literature (124), Nonfiction (119), Non-Fiction (107), TV Series (81), Folklore (80), Collected Stories (68), Murder Mystery (63), Recipes (55), Drama (54), Cookbooks (54), England (54), Myth Theory (53), British (49), Action Adventure (49), Romantic Drama (47), Documentary (47), Folk Narrative (44), Romantic Comedy (44), Dramedy (42), New York City (41), Anthropology (40), Musicals (39), Bollywood (37), Horror (37), Southern Studies (36), Southern Cooking (35), Fantasy (29), Comedy (29), Religion (29), Serial Killer (28), Historical Drama (28), Thriller (28), Folktales (28), Procedural (28), Myths (27), Black Comedy (27), Crime Thriller (23), Long Weekend (23), Poetry (23), Classical (22), Paganism (22), Psychological Drama (21), Comedy of Manners (21), Los Angeles (21), Eccentric Detective (20), Magic (20), Spy Thriller (20), Humor (20), Science Fiction (19), Romantic Adventure (18), NYPD (18), Southern Gothic (18), Comedy Adventure (17), Cartoon (17), Romance (17), Trickster (17), Screwball Comedy (16), Class System (16), Animation (16), Martial Arts (16), Scotland (16), Wizards (15), Biographical Drama (15), Psychological Thriller (14), Vampire Romance (14), Myth (14), Social Sciences (13), Ancient Greek (13), Indigenous (13), Mystery (13), Theater (13), Action (13), Hindi (12), California (12), London (12), Tragedy (12), India (12), Future Dystopia (12), Urban Fantasy (12), Miniseries (12), Profilers (12), Police Drama (12), Hero Figure (12), British Literature (11), Epic (11), Africa (11), Music (11), France (11), Adventure (11), Jewish (11), Memphis (11), Food History (11), Satire (11), Wuxia (11), Judaism (11), FBI (10), Ensemble Comedy (10), Jane Austen (10), Magical Worlds (10), Shakespeare (10), LAPD (10), World War II (10), English Literature (10), Colonialism (10), Parody (10), Falsely Accused (10), Feminism (10), Italy (9), Turkey (9), Federal Law Enforcement (9), Literary Classics (9), Alternate Universes (9), Gangsters (9), Celtic (9), Teaching (9), Legend (9), James Bond (9), American History (9), Forensic Crime (9), Western (9), Coming of Age (8), Istanbul (8), Paris (8), Noir (8), African Diaspora (8), History (8), British Cooking (8), Animals (8), Life Affirmation (8), Heist (8), Children's (8), Natural History (8), Journalism (8), Scottish Food (8), Textbook (8), Social History (7), Southern Culture (7), Black Studies (7), Swedish (7), Southern Literature (7), Concert (7), Women's Lives (7), Pagan Practice (7), Illustration (7), Teatime (7), Fantasy Adventure (7), Japan (7), Index (7), Antisemitism (7), Roman Empire (7), Tea Parties (7), African American (7), Sweden (7), Drug Dealers (7), True Story (7), Terrorism (6), Courtroom Drama (6), Nature Guides (6), Children's Movies (6), DEA (6), Totalitarian (6), Romantic Fantasy (6), Romantic Suspense (6), Art (6), Major Crimes (6), Regency England (6), 1960s (6), Dance (6), LGBTQ (6), China (6), Murder Mysteries (6), Drug Addiction (6), Mississippi (6), Showbiz (6), Arthurian (6), Christianity (6), Sociology (6), Nazis (6), Memphis Music (6), Scottish (6), Calendar Customs (6), High Fantasy (6), Resistance (5), Photographs (5), War Action (5), Monkey King (5), monstre sacré (5), Ethnicity (5), Death (5), Autobiography (5), Philosophy (5), Japanese (5), Folktale (5), Ireland (5), Conspiracy (5), Political Thriller (5), Boats (5), Crime (5), War (5), Suspense Thriller (5), Tolkien (5), Southern Music (5), Racism (5), Revenge (5), Urban Noir (5), Samurai (5), R&B (5), Christmas (5), Boat (4), British Empire (4), Holocaust (4), Religious Studies (4), Fairy Tales (4), History of Religion (4), 1930s (4), Novel (4), Ambient Sound (4), Ambient Landscape (4), Testing Book (4), War Adventure (4), Treasure (4), 1970s (4), Insanity (4), 1800s (4), Medical Mystery (4), 1700s (4), Memoir (4), Holidays (4), British Food (4), French Cinema (4), Politics (4), Supernatural Thriller (4), Addiction (4), Crime Drama (4), Disney (4), Cinema (4), Coffee Table Book (4), Regency (4), Action Thriller (4), Journey to the West (4), Ballet (4), New Orleans (4), Nature (4), Zombies (4), Pets (4), American Literature (4), British History (4), Postcolonialism (4), Relaxation (4), Vampires (4), Artists (4), Social Commentary (3), Nursery Rhymes (3), Thieves (3), Fables (3), Critical Thinking (3), Folklore Theory (3), Classical Studies (3), Horror Comedy (3), Books (3), tragedy (3), Trains (3), Makeover (3), Biography (3), Romantic Dramedy (3), Greek (3), French Literature (3), Medical Drama (3), Legal Thriller (3), Anthology (3), Greek Myth (3), Danish Literature (3), Epic Literature (3), Brazil (3), Teachers (3), Ethnography (3), Israel (3), English Folklore (3), Civil War (3), Hero (3), Hinduism (3), Hero's Journey (3), Hindus (3), Australia (3), Southern Belles (3), Muslims (3), Erotica (3), Time Travel (3), Chicago (3), 1900s (3), Crime Comedy (3), Zombie Apocalypse (3), Noir Thriller (3), Cold War (3), Native Americans (3)
- Nuvem de Etiquetas, Nuvem de Autores, Espelho de etiquetas
- Jun 15, 2009
- Nome Real
- Acerca da Minha Biblioteca
- The product of organized study, random enthusiasms, impulse, and the hoarder's instinct. I have deleted my library, having made a mess of it, and am now in the process of re-entering it all.
Regions of interest: Britain and Ireland, the American South, Greece and Rome, West Africa and African Diaspora, Central Asia, what used to be called the Near East, and Japan.
Areas of interest: folklore (especially narrative and belief), anthropology, history (especially Greek and Roman, Byzantine and other Eastern Mediterranean, British and Irish, and American Southern, all with an emphasis on cultural history), genre fiction, and children's literature. These days I am in general allergic to graphic novels, romance novels, self-help books, and anything inspirational--but life thrives on exceptions.
Fiction: anything from the bogs of time to the present, but particularly Shakespeare, the British novel, Southern lit, and the genres of mystery, horror, ghost stories, a small amount of fantasy, and the comedy of manners as practiced by Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer. I read much more genre than serious literature, although I do read serious literature. (And, yes, I do draw a distinction, although some of my post-modern friends refuse to.)
Quirks: utopia-building, the Silk Road, medical mysteries/oddities, the culture of death, the Harlem Renaissance, British and American life from the Edwardian era to Punk (and especially the Long Weekend between the world wars), classic movies and film criticism, Bollywood, the Black Death, popular music and its culture, poets whose work I grew up identifying with (but I don't otherwise read much poetry), Southern Gothic, armchair travel, pseudoscience (because of my late father), schizophrenia (because of my late mother), Japanese culture, erotica, genealogy, belief and skepticism, language (especially historical linguistics, slang and onomastics), "New Yorker" cartoons, Yoshitaka Amano, children's illustration (especially of the Golden Era, such as Edmund Dulac, Kay Nielsen, and Arthur Rackham), fashion, and curmudgeonly culture critics such as H. L. Mencken, the Algonquin set, Pauline Kael, and Florence King. Oh, and editions of Alice (illustrators, translations, paraphernalia) and anything about Memphis, Tennessee, or my dream city: Istanbul.
Religion: Since I have a lot of books on religion (especially Christianity, Vodou, and Neo-Paganism), I should perhaps add that I am not myself a Christian, a Vodouist, or a Neo-Pagan. I am, however, deeply interested in many aspects of religious belief and practice, including popular representations of traditional religions. You might sum me up as a skeptic with an imagination, who believes (with Claude Lévi-Strauss) that the mythopoeic impulse is as much a part of us as language is.
- Acerca de Mim
- Folklorist and college instructor. I also eke out my income to pay the rent and buy books by teaching kids to write better.
- Autores Favoritos
- Charles Addams, Yoshitaka Amano, A. J. Arberry, Jane Austen, Philip Barry, Ambrose Bierce, Roy Blount, Jr., Giovanni Boccaccio, Jan Bondeson, Jorge Luis Borges, Charlotte Brontë, Jan Harold Brunvand, Frances Hodgson Burnett, Truman Capote, John le Carré, Lewis Carroll, Raymond Chandler, Geoffrey Chaucer, G. K. Chesterton, Donald J. Cosentino, Amanda Cross, Emily Dickinson, Arthur Conan Doyle, Will Durant, Umberto Eco, John Egerton, T. S. Eliot, William Faulkner, Ian Fleming, Shelby Foote, E. M. Forster, Neil Gaiman, Martin Gardner, Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Robert Gordon, Stephen Jay Gould, Graham Greene, Peter Guralnick, Dashiell Hammett, Peter Laughlan Heath, Georgette Heyer, Patricia Highsmith, Zora Neale Hurston, Aldous Huxley, M. R. James, P. D. James, Diana Wynne Jones, Pauline Kael, Walter Arnold Kaufmann, Randall Kennedy, Florence King, Ira Levin, Claude Lévi-Strauss, Sinclair Lewis, H. P. Lovecraft, John D. MacDonald, Philip MacDonald, Don Marquis, John McPhee, H. L. Mencken, Vladimir Nabokov, Joseph Falaky Nagy, Ogden Nash, Dorothy Parker, Walker Percy, S. J. Perelman, Edgar Allan Poe, Philip Pullman, François Rabelais, John Shelton Reed, Rick Riordan, Berton Roueché, J. K. Rowling, Dorothy L. Sayers, William Shakespeare, George Bernard Shaw, David Shipman, Victoria Simmons, Dodie Smith, Stevie Smith, John Steinbeck, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mary Stewart, Rex Stout, Josephine Tey, David Thomson, James Thurber, J. R. R. Tolkien, Calvin Trillin, Patricia A. Turner, Mark Twain, Eudora Welty, Cornel West, Tennessee Williams, Edward O. Wilson, Gahan Wilson, N. D. Wilson, P. G. Wodehouse, C. Vann Woodward
Ligações de Membro
- Biblioteca Interessante
Este sítio web usa «cookies» para fornecer os seus serviços, para melhorar o desempenho, para analítica e (se não estiver autenticado) para publicidade. Ao usar o LibraryThing está a reconhecer que leu e compreende os nossos Termos de Serviço e Política de Privacidade. A sua utilização deste sítio e serviços está sujeita a essas políticas e termos.